Monday 1 August 2011

Kandi finally in foal

Kandi, my 'big' horse has finally been scanned 15 days in foal at the third AI attempt. She's on medication to try and support the pregnancy for 3 months and she'll probably stay at Leahurst's Equine reproduction unit on the wirral until she's around 40 days-she'll be scanned again at 30 days. At around this time the foal has a strong enough hearbeat to survive minor stress of the mum-it's travelling Kandi home that we think has been the problem as she sweats badly and the rise in temperature can be too much for the foal!
I'm trying not to get too excited as it's still very early days (they're pregnant for 11 months!) but I'll feel a bit more confident at the 30 day scan.
She has a lovely hedged grassy field to return to and will live out with Georgie, my rather lively pony who is too exhuberant for pony party visitors!!!
I have had a sneaky peak at potential stallions to use next year if all goes well this year.
I'm just hoping all the effort that's gone into this foal will pay off, though you can't force mother nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment