Saturday 7 August 2010

Training pony to drive

Have been thinking for a while that I need to train Jinny to drive to keep her weight down-I'm too big to ride her and my daughter already has her own pony to ride.
I put the driving saddle on today and the driving reins. She wasn't keen with me standing behind her (this is usual as horses can't see behind them and are prey animals!) and tried to turn round to face me (which is usual). Once she realised I was staying behind, she settled into it really well. I was rather surprised as I could position her where I wanted her-we could go in straight lines or go on a circle-usually they wiggle around at first!
I'll try her like this for a couple more days then I'll put the breeching straps on- they go round their back legs and sometimes they protest!
It'll be great to have a driving pony again-we have a little carriage that I hope will fit her. At least we can practise in the orchard before going out on the road.
Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment