Monday 26 July 2010

Competition looms for my young horse

After weeks of should we, shouldn't we, my homebred part Hanoverian 4 year old gelding is off to Ryedale show in Yorkshire to compete in the Burghley Young Event Class.
His name is Walentin (or Tino for short) and is by Suzanne Lavandera's gorgeous Hanoverian dressage stallion Walentino. His mum is my little Irish TB mare who I bought when she was 5 and who is now 24! (and still Very fit!).
Tino exudes presence, just like his sire and just loves to work, just like his mum! His paces are effortless, huge and off the floor-the difficulty at the moment is keeping everything quiet and small! He LOVES show-jumping and takes his rider into the jump (and over it!). I'm sure he'll be like his mum cross country-safe and nimble-she always knows where her feet are and he's demonstrated the same playing in the field!
He's VERY sensible and I tell the story of when, as a young colt, I was mucking his stable out with him in it-I got myself caught in the corner, just at the moment he decided to roll-he had me cornered with his feet. He just stayed there whilst I rolled the wheel barrow over his front feet, then I stepped over him, then he got up-pretty switched on!
Anyway, I wish Tino and his capable young rider, Jess Worthington a safe and enjoyable day. (secretly I hope he gets placed, but I think he'll look small against the other horses).

No comments:

Post a Comment